RESEARCH COUNCIL MINUTES
September 11, 2000
Attendees: Bill Blass (chair), Gayle Baker (Co-Vice-Chair), Doug Birdwell (Co-Vice-Chair)
Andy Kramer (Co-Vice-Chair), Chris Cox, Zoe Hoyle, Bruce Tonn, Marion Hansen, Ted Labotka, David Fox,
Jim Moran, Elizabeth Sutherland.
Meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
- Introductory Remarks: Research Council Chair Bill Blass spoke of the many happenings that had
occurred over the summer: change in leadership in the Office of Research, the recent Research Forum,
the call for proposals for new Centers of Excellence. Administrators will be asked to update
the Council at the next meeting.
- Committee Overview: The Council reviewed the charges of the standing committees and
ad hoc panels. The Chancellor's Research Award is now called the Provost's Research
Award. Members present submitted their choices for committee assignments.
- Annual Report: Zoe Hoyle stated that the annual report on research will have
some changes. It will include statistics for the Memphis campus and the Space
Center and will only be available online. It will also have links to the new
web-based sponsored programs system, which should be available soon.
- Discussion Items:
- Senate Charge: The charge was discussed. The
Policies & Procedures Committee will continue to work with the Faculty Senate
Faculty Development Committee on a sabbatical policy. The Research Infrastructure
Committee will inquire about the continuation of the faculty workstation refresh
program and the new IRIS financial system and any associated changes in
contracts & grants accounting procedures. The Council will discuss issues on
faculty titles, explore possible collaboration with comparable bodies at Memphis and
the Space Institute, and continue the collaboration and support of the Office of
- Faculty Titles: The draft documents from the Task Force on Faculty
Titles was discussed. Bill Blass will formulate a response for Faculty Senate.
- Questions for the Administration: Members were encouraged to send questions
for administrators for the October meeting to Gayle Baker.