[The following criteria were presented to the UTK Faculty Senate on October 17, 1988.]
THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE, KNOXVILLE
PROPOSED CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES FOR CHANCELLOR
1. Administrative ability and sound judgment about planning and budgeting.
2. Leadership ability with a style that allows for the broad freedom required by each school and college while providing the accountability and coordination required by the President, Board of Trustees, and State of Tennessee.
3. Academic credentials that qualify him or her for a position on the professorial staff, as well as scholarly stature in his/her discipline.
4. Experience in administration in an academic setting, and the understanding of and commitment to excellence in the functions of a comprehensive, land-grant institution.
5. The ability to work effectively with external constituencies, including government officials, alumni, community leaders, and private donors.
6. Vision about the future potential of the university and the needs of the state and the nation.
7. Strong personal integrity and values which include respect and appreciation for scholarly, academic, and intellectual pursuits and for academic freedom.
8. Demonstrated commitment to affirmative action.
9. Demonstrated ability to raise funds through private and corporate gifts.
10. Ability to select outstanding people for key leadership positions, and to involve the faculty in searches for such people.
11. Optimism and enthusiasm; ability to accept criticism in a positive manner and to use it constructively in finding solutions to problems.