Study Questions Chapts. 3 & 4
- Name two techniques used in the 19th century to investigate the brain. Associate at least one person with each technique and describe that person’s specific contribution(s).
- Describe two key assumptions of phrenology that are mistaken. What evidence did Flourens offer to disprove phrenology? Name something positive that emerged from phrenology.
- What are “nature’s experiments”? Describe two such experiments discussed in the text and explain both the pros and cons of this technique.
- Name three areas of psychology that Wundt did research in. For each area, describe an example of his method and a statement of what he (or his students) found.
- Why is Wundt considered the founder of psychology and what reason did Wundt have for suggesting that psychology was founded in 1879?
- Describe the roles of Maskelyne, Kinnebrook, Bessel, and Donders in the history of the measure of reaction times.
Last revised: 6 January 2005