Study Questions Chapts. 3
- Name two techniques used in the 19th century to investigate the brain. Associate at least one person with each technique and describe that personís specific contribution(s).
- Phrenology was controversial even when it was popular. Describe two reasons why it was controversial and
also expleain two positive consequences of phrenology.
- What are "nature's experiments?" Describe two such
discussed in the text and explain both the pros and cons of this
- Describe Helmholtz's greatest achievement. How did this achievement
support Helmholtz's mechanistic view of the human body?
- Describe Tan's symptoms at the time of his death at Bicêtre.
- What is an aphasia? Name two areas in the brain which lead to aphasias when damaged and describe how and
by whom these areas were discovered.
Last revised: 12 January 2009