Study Questions: Chapts. 1 & 2
- Name and describe three kinds of pre-scientific psychological services offered to the public during the 19th Century.
- What interests and beliefs did Gall, Spurzheim, Combe and the Fowler brothers have in common?
- Describe the influence that "Mind Healing" or "Mind-Cure Therapy" had upon two prominant and influential Americans.
- Who wrote the first American textbook in psychology and what was its subject matter?
- Name two British Empiricists and two Scottish Realists and describe the major difference between the tennants of British Empiricism and Scottish Realism.
- What do you make of McCosh's (1874) comments about Darwin?
- Describe the work of Pierre Flourens and Paul Broca relevant to the theory of cortical localization.
- Explain the "law of specific nerve energies." Who is credited with its discovery?
- Helmholtz maintained that the speed of nerve conductance was measureable and considerably slower than the speed of light. What kinds of research did
this realization lead to?
- What was the insight that Fechner had on October 22, 1850, and what did it lead to?
- Describe two psychophycical theories attributed to Helmholtz.
Last revised: 22 January 2007