This is your periodic newsletter from the Office of the Chief Financial Officer, Charles M. Peccolo.
View this email in your browser
The Office of the Treasurer -

Direct Bill of Car Rental

The University will now directly pay for car rentals, when traveling on University business. To have this directly billed to your departmental account, you need to complete the T-25 form located at the Office of the Treasurer website and follow the instructions. Once the form is approved, World Travel MUST make your reservation using our National / Enterprise agreement and at the end of the monthly billing cycle these charges will be transferred directly to your UT account.

This process is identical to the direct bill of airfare. Information about the University contracted rental rates can be located here and remember to use corporate discount code XZ56187 to receive our contracted rate. 

New Computer Hardware Contracts

Two new system-wide computer hardware and peripheral contracts make it easier to procure IT products and services. Each campus’ CIO named representatives to a committee, who worked closely with Purchasing, in order to develop common specifications, which resulted in the award of these contracts. 
  • DELL – The Dell contract provides for hardware, software, consulting services, and a wide range of accessories and is available for both departmental and personal purchases. Click here to view the catalogs and to find out additional information. For personal purchases, reference Member ID US 126276147 or call 1-800-695-8133 or contact
  • PCS - The new PCS contract offers technology solutions for education including manufacturers like HP, Lenovo, Lexmark, Epson Projectors, Fujitsu, Acer, LG, Extreme Networks, InFocus, Promethean, and much more. To view their catalogs click here.

Furniture Contracts

The University has several options when purchasing furniture which eliminates the need to bid these items.  For additional information, contact information or to place an order, visit the UT System Purchasing site “How Do I Buy?” linked here.
  • CFA (Contract Furniture Alliance) was awarded a large contract through a Request for Proposal process.  They offer products from approximately 90 different manufacturers.   In addition to various office, healthcare, café, library and lounge furnishings, the contract also offers signage, draperies and blinds, whiteboards and many other offerings.  The contract also includes services such as space planning, redesign and/or reinstallation, refurbishing, electrostatic painting of existing metal furniture, furniture cleaning, refurbishing of existing residence hall wood chairs and storage/warehousing of excess furniture.   See University Contract #4600002237 for contact and other information. 
  • Staples Advantage also offers a variety of loose furniture items, in addition to office supplies, promotional items, paper, etc.  See University Contract #4600002116 or visit the Staples Advantage website.
  • NOI (Nashville Office Interiors) was awarded a State contract, which the University is allowed to use and which includes various Haworth products.  This contract also includes furniture installation and reconfiguration services.  See University Contract #4600002183 for contact and other information.
  • OFO (Office Furniture Outfitters) was also awarded a State contract, which the University is allowed to use and includes Haworth and Herman Miller items as well as de-installation and re-installation of existing open office landscape furniture/products.  See University Contract 4600002261 for contact and other information.

Employee Self-Service

Employees may access and update their own information through Employee Self-Service (ESS).   Available options are:
  • Employee statements – pay statements, benefits statement, W-2
  • W-4 Tax Withholding– shows the current settings and allows changes
  • Personal profile – displays a variety of information including name, address, organizational assignment, bank information, and education.  This screen also includes various identifiers, including your personnel number and the ID used by the State of Tennessee Edison system.
  • On the personal profile, you may update your permanent residence address, change phone number and release code for your office address, maintain your emergency contact information, and update ethnicity and veteran status. 
  • Time displays – includes information on leave balances as well as detailed time statements
You can access ESS at  You will need to log in using your NetID and password. 

If you need assistance with your NetID password, click  on the login page. 

Once authenticated, click on the Employee Self-Service tab:

All employees should log into ESS to verify their emergency contact information and other personnel profile information.  If you see information on your personal profile that cannot be updated online, ESS includes a link to the form that can be used to submit the requested changes to HR.
To see the latest news from the
Office of the Chief Financial Officer, visit
July 2014 - Issue 7

Changes to Vendor Creation Process

The University has started requiring two additional forms before a vendor record can be created in IRIS. The first one is the Vendor Payment Selection Form This form requires vendors to select their method of payment and more favorable payment terms are offered if they select to be paid through E-Payables or direct deposit. These payments are processed daily whereas checks are only processed twice a week. This has been extremely well received and hundreds of vendors have selected these two methods of payment over paper checks.
The second form, the Worker Classification Form, just applies to individuals or sole proprietors and enables the University to comply with IRS regulations related to independent contractors. When completing this form, it is important to pay attention to the instructions telling you to "Stop," since you may not need to complete the entire form. Questions related to this form and the vendor creation process can be directed to

Training material related to this form and the other steps required to create a vendor can be located at the Accounts Payable website.

Downtown Knoxville Hotel Agreements

The university has purchase orders with the Crowne Plaza, Hilton, and Holiday Inn World’s Fair in downtown Knoxville covering lodging, meeting space, and banquet service. These agreements eliminate the need to conduct bids or sign contracts.

CONUS rates are provided at these hotels, with the exception of certain black-out dates such as football weekends. Discounts on catering and event space are also provided in addition to other benefits such as free rooms based on volume and room upgrades for group VIPs. An online order form has also be created to make reserving rooms and meeting space a more efficient process. This form can be signed by meeting planners and department heads and additional review is not required. 

For additional information on these specific agreements and to access the even order form visit the Travel Program website. 

Changes to Meal Allowance

Effective July 1, 2014, meal per diems will no longer be based upon the time that the employees departs or arrives home. Instead, travelers will receive 75% of the normal reimbursement rate regardless of the time of departure or return. If one trip ends and another begins on the same day, meal deductions should be made on one of the trips and noted on both trips so that the traveler is not reimbursed more than 100% of the meal allowance for that day.

Master Agreements 

The Office of the Treasurer has finalized over 100 master agreements.  These agreements do not affect the University’s policies, and all University policies still apply.  The goal of master agreements is to make future purchases with these vendors more efficient because the purchase are government by the terms and conditions of the master agreement. 

To see a complete list of master agreements, click here.
Please check the list of master agreements. If you do business with a vendor and think a master agreement would benefit the University, contact your campus contracts office.

Be Sure to Register All “Volunteers”

The University of Tennessee recognizes the valuable contributions of those persons giving freely of their time and talents for the benefit of the University without compensation. These persons are "VOLUNTEERS" in every sense of the word.

The State legislature in the enactment of the Tennessee Claims Commission Act of 1984 recognized the need for protection of volunteers from legal actions while performing their service on behalf of the University. As such, the volunteers who are registered with the University receive the same civil immunity from liability, as does an employee of the University under the Act. This would also include volunteers who are authorized to drive University vehicles. Thus, it is important that departments follow their campus/institute policies and guidelines to ensure that these individuals are properly registered.

Please contact the System Risk Management office at 865-974-5409 or refer to the Risk Management website for instructions regarding registering volunteers.
Copyright © 2014 Office of the Treasurer, University of Tennessee, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp