MS Word Page Numbering
How to Number the Pages of a Thesis or Dissertation in Microsoft Word 2007:
- With your cursor on the page after your Title Page, go to 'Insert' and select 'Page numbers” (in the Header & Footer section of the ribbon). Choose placement of page numbers.
- You should see the “Header and Footer tools/Design” ribbon appear, along with a dotted line with flags saying “Header” and “footer” on the respective lines. Make sure that there are not other flags on the line that say “same as previous.” If you do see these flags in the section where you have put your page number (the header or the footer), make sure to unclick the “Link to Previous” button in the “Navigation” menu of the “Header and Footer tools/Design” ribbon.
- Click on the “Page Numbers” button in the “Header and Footer tools/Design” or “Insert” menu. Choose “format page numbers” from the bottom of the dropdown menu.
- Choose lowercase roman numerals (i,ii, iii…) from the “Number Format” dropdown menu in the “Page Number Format” window.
- In the lower part of the window under “Page Numbering,” toggle from “Continue from Previous Section” to “Start At”. Use the arrows on the menu to increase/decrease the number to ii.
- Go to the bottom of your last page of your preliminary pages and put in another section break following the directions in step 1.
- With your cursor on the first page of your first chapter or section, go to the dropdown menu at Insert/ Page Numbers and choose Format.
- Choose Arabic numerals (1,2,3…) from the “Number Format” dropdown menu.
- In the lower part of the window under “Page Numbering,” toggle from “toggle from “Continue from Previous Section” to “Start At”. Use the arrows on the menu to increase/decrease the number to 1.
The result should be that your approval sheet does not have a page number. Your title page should not have a page number printed on the page. Your preliminary pages should be numbered with lowercase Roman numerals and the body of your text should be numbered with Arabic numerals.
For information on how to number the Pages of a Thesis or Dissertation in Microsoft Word 2000, click here.
Contact The Consultant
Email (preferred): email@example.com
111 Student Services Bldg.
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-1337
Instructions from Microsoft Office Support site for page numbering in Word 2003
Instructions from Mactopia site for page numbering in Word 2011 (for Mac) [Note: Support and How-tos for Word 2008 have been at least temporarily removed from the Mactopia website. See this article for instructions on page numbering in Word for Mac 2008, or search for information on forums.]
Microsoft Office Support video on setting up page numbers in Word 2010.