Student Media Board Responsibilities
General Student Media Board responsibilities include:
- Policies: Establish for student media editorial and management policies which reflect the intent of the Programs and Services Fee (e.g., coverage of as many and as great a variety of campus events and activities as possible and reasonable distribution of the media).
- Program and Budget: Develop annually, in consultation with the Director of Student Media, a media program and budget in accord with University fiscal and administrative policies.
- Code of Ethics: Develop and enforce, in consultation with the Director, a well-defined Code of Ethics, including a clear statement that prior censorship will not be exercised over student media, prohibition of vulgarity and obscenity, requirement of objectivity in news writing and emphasis on professional journalistic standards.
- Selection and Removal of Editors and Managers: Establish procedures for selection, supervision, and removal of student editors. Policies for removal of editors shall be compatible with due process. In selecting editors, the board should seek candidates with experience, integrity and competence who understand and are committed to the Code of Ethics.
- Review of Media: Review regularly all issues of student media and, with the Director of Student Media, meet with student staff members for evaluation of media.
- Private Interest and Support: Actively seek private interest in and support of the student media program.
- Committees: Establish appropriate special and standing committees to carry out functions of the board.