RESEARCH COUNCIL MINUTES
February 28, 2000
Attendees: Bill Blass (chair), Gayle Baker (Co-Vice-Chair), Andy Kramer (Co-Vice-Chair),
Chris Cox, Benjamin Bates, Laura Franks, Ken Walker, Clifton Woods, Ham Bozdogan, Pat Fisher,
Dania Bilal, Martha Alligood, Mark Dadmun, M.G. Hansen, Madhu Madhukar, Otto Schwarz, Pete Wicks,
Ted Labotka, Surya Singh, Mike Devine, Dwayne McCay, Brenda Lawson, Ron Maples, Carolyn Webb,
Phyllis Turner and Debbie Bowles.
- Introductory Remarks: Bill Blass introduced Dr. T. Dwayne McCay, Vice President for Research and
- Status of Streamlining as It Applies to the Research Enterprise: Vice President McCay described his
vision for research for the University of Tennessee.
- Faculty Development Opportunities: Andy Kramer reported on the Policies and Procedures Committee's
investigation of faculty development opportunities/sabbaticals at other universities. Kramer is sharing
the information with the Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee. A matrix of selected
programs at other institutions was distributed. Some common threads in these policies are:
Members of Research Council agreed that it does not cost extra to have a program such as this and urged the
committee to look into similar programs at peer institutions, top 25 institutions, and Marshall. Kramer plans
to have a policy recommendation in April.
- The academic department picks up the teaching load.
- Faculty member on leave gets full salary for one semester or half salary for two semesters.
- A written proposal is required.
- Faculty member must return at the completion of the leave.
- Health and retirement benefits are covered during the leave.
Meeting adjourned at 4:57 p.m.