Future Residents – Rooms and Roommates
- All single enrolled freshmen who do not commute from the primary residence of their parent or legal guardian are required to live in University residence halls.
- Your housing contract confirmation and preferences selection information will be sent to your VolMail e-mail account, shortly after you have paid your enrollment confirmation deposit. Important information for students who wish to appeal to commute will be included in the e-mail as well.
- You may confirm your housing/dining contract at any time, but the earlier the better. Priority for housing assignment is based on the date your enrollment confirmation deposit is received by the University.
- Confirm your contract and complete the preferences information to receive an assignment.
- For all questions about housing assignments, please contact University Housing at (865) 974-2571, e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit their website http://uthousing.utk.edu.
We begin assigning new applicants in February of each year and continue until all applicants are assigned. If all three of your choices are full, we will assign you to another hall. If at any time you wish to be moved to a different hall, we encourage you to write or email our office to get on the waiting list.
You will be notified about two weeks prior to opening day of your room assignment and roommate. You will receive the name, address and telephone number of your roommate along with additional information about moving in. We encourage you to get in touch with your roommate before arriving. As with all other aspects of the University, assignments to rooms and halls are not made on the basis of race, color, religion, age, veteran status, disability,or national origin.
Once final room assignments for new applicants are completed in early August, changes cannot be made until after the residence halls open for occupancy. Any existing waiting lists will be deleted when room assignments are mailed to students. Students may request to move to another hall or room on or after the first day of fall semester classes by completing a request form at the main desk of their assigned hall. There is a two-week waiting period at the beginning of the fall semester to allow students to get settled and to allow staff to find out who has and has not arrived. After this waiting period, students may move to other rooms and halls as long as space permits. All requests for changes are handled on a first-come, first-served basis once the halls open.
The housing and food services contracts are for the entire academic year. You are responsible for both fall and spring semesters unless you do not enroll or you are participating in a University-sponsored program.