University of Tennessee, Knoxville
History


Milton M. Klein, University Historian 1988-1997







The University of Tennessee

The University of Tennessee began as Blount College, chartered on September 10, 1794, by an act of the legislature of the Southwest Territory meeting in the territorial capital, Knoxville. The college was small at its inception; it struggled for the next thirteen years with a small student body and an even smaller faculty. In 1807, the institution received a new designation-East Tennessee College--and in 1840 was elevated in stature as East Tennessee University. Following the Civil War, the State of Tennessee made the University the beneficiary of the Morrill Act of 1862 which allocated federal land or its monetary value to the various states for the teaching of "agricultural and mechanical" subjects and to provide military training to students. Thus, the University of Tennessee (its designation after 1879) became a land-grant institution.


A Brief History of the University



For further information, please contact:

The University Archives
Hoskins Library
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-4005







This Page was Established on June 25, 1996
and Last Revised on October 31, 2001


Designed by George H. Hoemann, at the School of Information Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville