Welcome to The Marco Institute
for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
The Marco Institute for Medieval and Renaissance Studies evolved out of the very successful interdisciplinary program in Medieval and Renaissance Studies at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Prior to the establishment of the Institute, the university already had a long-standing impressive record of attracting accomplished scholars in this field and building important library collections, particularly in the medieval period, and the Institute's creation provided a physical and academic center for these efforts in scholarship, education, outreach and faculty development.
In December of 2003, the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) issued a highly competitive Challenge Grant to aid the newly created Marco Institute in its upward trajectory to national recognition and excellence. The fundraising program was completed in the summer of 2008, and has provided a $3 million endowment for the Institute to help ensure Marco's place as the center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies in the Southeast.
- Watch: 2013 Riggsby Lecture with Dr. Catherine Brown (University of Michigan)
- 2013-14 Haslam Postdoctoral Fellowship announcement
- Spring 2013 Marco Newsletter
- Marco Keith Taylor Undergraduate Essay Prize
- 2013 Marco Undergraduate Award Recipients
- 2013-14 Marco Graduate Fellowship Recipients
- 2013 Lindsay Young Visiting Faculty Fellows
- Watch: Geoffrey Martin, Katie Thompson Newell – Graduate Fellows Evening, April 25, 2013
UT Events Calendar
Workshops & Symposia
Dr. Heather Hirschfeld
915 Volunteer Blvd.
Dunford Hall, sixth floor
Knoxville, TN 37996-4065
Phone: (865) 974-1859
Fax: (865) 974-3655 & (865) 974-3915