BACK TO LIST OF PROPOSALS
Josephine Mc Cormick
Head of Printmaking at Belfast Institute of Further and Higher Education
Gerald Moag Campus
Art and Design Block
Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 1HS
Tel 028 90265327
Paper: “Contested Space – Printmaking in Northern Ireland”
Keywords – Contested Space. Print Artists., Peace Process., Funding Policy., Education., Independent Print Workshops., International Links
Northern Ireland is a Contested space, where two disparate ideologies now aim to find a solution to the political, social and cultural impasse that has shaped years of conflict. This paper presents a critique of Fine Art printmaking practice in Northern Ireland related specifically to contested space and the peace process.
The following areas will be presented
* Print practice in Northern Ireland – an overview of work produced in response to contested space.
* What role does printmaking perform in relation to Transitional Justice?
* Funding and Policy in Northern Ireland –through the Arts Council of Northern Ireland and The British Council – How is cultural understanding and equality through printmaking promoted by these public bodies.
* Education of Printmaking in Northern Ireland – has Education addressed the contested space issue and the peace process, or has its role been purely to promote skill acquisition within printmaking.
* Independent Printmaking Workshops – an examination of the role of Belfast Print Workshop and Seacourt Print Workshop in the context of promoting printmaking within the wider community. How does this affect the cultural dialog with the peace process?
* International Links – South African and Northern Irish Printmakers – a special cultural and artistic cross collaboration.
This paper will draw from extensive interviews with the following sources, Independent Printmakers, The Transitional Justice Institute, The British Council, The Arts Council of Northern Ireland, The University of Ulster, Belfast Institute, Belfast Print Workshop and Seacourt Print Workshop
Dr Josephine Mc Cormick
Selected Solo Exhibitions
2004 Portland Bay Press Gallery, Australia
2004 Old Museum, Belfast. N. Ireland
2001 Atelier Contrepoint, Paris. France
1997 Academy of Art, San Francisco. USA
1995 Editions Gallery, Liverpool. England
1994 Wyvern Gallery, Dublin. Eire
1993 Royal Pavilion Gallery, Brighton. England
Selected Group Exhibitions
2005 Waterfront Hall, Belfast. N. Ireland
2004 Clotworthy Arts Centre, Antrim
2004 Grosvenor Museum. Chester. England
2002 Belfast Print Workshop, Belfast. N.Ireland
1999 Vernin Fur Original Radierung. Munich. Germany
1997 Ekaterinburg Museum. Russia
1996 Aenaon International Centre of Fine Arts. Athens. Greece
1996 Recent Aquistitions Ulster Museum. N. Ireland
1995 Arcade, Exhibition of Electronic Prints. Brighton
1994 Estampes D’Outre, Musee Adzak. Paris
2004 DPhil; Printmaking – University of Ulster. Belfast. N. Ireland
The Application of CAD/CAM Technology in the Remediation of the Viscosity Printing Process
2004 Film of Printwork Print-Making IT
2003 Designed Logo for Transitional Justice. Belfast. N.Ireland
2004 DPhil; University of Ulster
1993 Printmaking Camberwell College of Art
1992 Post Graduate Diploma. Croydon College of Art
1988 BA Fine Art Liverpool John Moores University
Awards and Residencies
2004 Australian Print Workshop. Melbourne
2004 Arts Council of N.Ireland. Travel Award
2004 British Council Award
2001 Atelier Contrepoint. Paris
1997 San Francisco Art Academy. USA
Conferences and Consultancy
2002 Drawn to Print. Camberwell College of Art
200 C.A.D.E. – Computers in Art and Design Education
1999 IMPACT. University of the West of England. Bristol
1998 Print Convenor for Digital Printmaking Panel within ‘Digital Aesthetics’ for ISEA., International Symposium on Electronic Art. Liverpool John Moores University