This section of the conference website includes some helpful information to assist on your arrival in Berlin prior to the conference. We encourage you to use this information to plan how you will use your time once you arrive. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO PRINT THIS PAGE, and several links below (especially the map to the Druckwerkstatt, Kulturwerk of bbk berlins) in preparation for your arrival.
1. PLAN AHEAD: If you do not have a hotel room in Berlin and Poznañ, we encourage you to do this as soon as possible using the hotels section of this web site. Having a map of Berlin is a must. The BVG website has useful maps and trip planners. The Berlin.de website has useful information as well as maps.
2. GETTING AROUND BERLIN: The transportation section of the web site includes important information with useful links to the airport web sites. If you arrive on or before Saturday September 3rd, we encourage you to get a one-week pass (zones AB) for the Berlin public transit system (BVG). You can also buy these for one day at a time. There is a BVG office at both airports. They will provide you with a useful route and city map. Those arriving at the Schönefeld Airport will need to pay a special ticket to the city center because the airport is outside the AB zones of the BVG system.
3. GET YOUR TRAIN TICKET EARLY: Please do not put this off. Plan to buy your train ticket to and from Poznan, Poland at either the Zoologischer Garten Station or the Ostbahnof Station soon after you arrive in Berlin. Lines tend to be very long at both stations. As it is an international train, we regret that it is not possible to buy this in advance over the internet. Below are the current options:
Wednesday September 7 - Berlin to Poznañ, Gl.: The main train we encourage you to use (EC 45) departs from the Ostbahnhof Station at 12:42 (accessable by the S-Bahn from the Zoologischer Garten station). The train takes 3 hours to travel to Poznan, and will arrive around 15:30. European and American delegates should have their passports, but do not need a VISA to enter Poland.
If this train is booked, an early train (EC 41) departs at 6:32 (arriving at 9: 37) and a later train (EC 47) at 16:39 (arriving at 19:37).
Saturday September 10 - Poznañ to Berlin: The train (EC 46) departs from the Poznan Glowny Station at 10:20 and arrives at Berlin Ostbahnhof at 13:16. There is also a later train (EC 44) that departs at 14:20 and arrives in Berlin at 17:16.
4. PRE-CONFERENCE HAPPY HOUR: On Sunday September 4th from 17:00-19:00 join other conference delegates for a casual happy hour at Rocco Cafe-Bar-Restaurant (+49-030-24-63-86-06) on the north side of the historic Hackeschen Markt S-Bahn Station. This is a convenient central location after a day on Museum Island, visiting galleries or other activities in Berlin. Look for the IMPACT conference coasters.5. DIRECTIONS ON MONDAY: The conference will start on Monday September 5th at 10:00 at the Druckwerkstatt, Kulturwerk of bbk berlins, Mariannenplatz 2 just south of the Ostbahnhof train station.. It is located at the Kunsterhaus Bethanien. CLICK HERE to download a pdf of a map with directions or CLICK HERE to see the map (as a gif file) on the web.
6. SUGGESTED EXHIBITIONS THE FIRST WEEKEND: The exhibitions section of the website offers a more extensive listing of exhibitions in Poznan and Berlin. Here are some key exhibitions to consider seeing:
Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum for Contemporary Art
Contemporary art - works from artists like Kiefer, Merz, Beuys, Warhol, Lichtenstein, Twombly
"Prizewinners of the National Galleries Young Art Competition" (September 3 - October 16, 2005)
"Bernd and Hilla Becher - Typology of Industrial Buildings", Photographs. (exhibition starts August 28)
Opening Hours: Tuesday - Friday 10:00 - 18:00, Saturday 11:00 - 20:00, Sunday 11:00 - 18:00
Public transport: U-Bahn U6 (Zinnowitzer Straße), S-Bahn S5, S7, S75, S9 (Hauptbahnhof Lehrter Bahnhof)
Web Link: http://www.smb.spk-berlin.de/smb/en/sammlungen/details.php?objectId=21&PHPSESSID=0fb77ed5ddf7a83fd9d2ab222e8cf21f
Old National Gallery
Collection of 19th century sculptures and paintings including works from artists from the Nazarener-group - Impressionists like Manet, Monet, Renoir and Degas - painters from the German romanticism like Caspar David Friedrich and Schinkel - Menzel, Liebermann, Thome, Leibl and others.
"Goya - Prophet of Modern Art" Paintings and prints from the Prado and other collection in Spain
(July 13 - October 3, 2005)
Opening Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 10:00 - 18:00, Thursday 10:00 - 22:00
Public transport: U-Bahn U6 (Friedrichstraße), S-Bahn S1, S2, S25 (Friedrichstraße); S5, S7, S75, S9 (Hackescher Markt)
Web Link: http://www.smb.spk-berlin.de/smb/en/sammlungen/details.php?objectId=17
Galerie Barthel + Tetzner
An exhibition of Prints (lithography, alugraphy, intaglio) and drawings by Carlfriedrich Claus
Fasanenstraße 15, 10623 Berlin, Telephone: 030 - 88683306
Gallery hours: Tuesday - Friday 14:00 - 19:00, Saturday 11:00 - 15:00
Public Transportation: S-Bahn, U-Bahn or Bus to Bahnhof Zoo, 8 Minute walk
Kunsthandel Wolfgang Werner KG
"Works from the Berlin years 1908-1914"
Seldom seen prints, drawings and paintings by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and Max Pechstein
Fasanenstraße 72 10719 Berlin, Telephone: 030 - 882 76 16, Fax: 030 - 881 53 87
Gallery hours: Mo - Fr 10:00 - 18.30, Sat 10:00 - 14:00 and by appointment
Public Transportation: U-Bahn Uhlandstr. U15 or Kurfürstendamm U9
Galerie Horst Dietrich
"Alexandra Huber - Paintings, Drawings, Woodblock Prints"
Introduction of the artist book "Alexandra Huber - The small world in 15x15"
Giesebrechtstraße 19, 10629 Berlin, Telephone: 030 - 3245345
Gallery hours: Tuesday - Friday 14:00 - 19:00, Saturday 10:00 - 14:00 and by appointment
Public Transportation: S-Bahn Charlottenburg, U-Bahn Adenauer Platz
"Prints by Several Artists" including Theo Balden, Wieland Förster, Hans Grundig, Charlotte E. Pauly, Georg Karl Pfahler, Peter Rensch and Hans Ticha (August 28-September 28, 2005)
This exhibition includes prints from different techniques and time periods. Some rare works include a drypoint from 1936 from the Dresden artist Hans Grundig (1901-1958), an aquatint from the Berlin artist Charlotte E. Pauly (1886-1981), color screens prints by Georg Karl Pfahler (1925-2003).
Kyffhäuserstraße 11, 10781 Berlin
Telephone: (030) 330 26 400
Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday from 12:00-18:00 / Monday for appointment
Public transport: U 7, U-Bahnhof Eisenacher Straße (+ 3 min walk); U 1 / U 2, U-Bahnhof Nullendorfplatz (+ 10 min walk)
Atelier & Galerie oko
"Takashi OHNO: Modern Japanese Woodcuts"
An exhibition of some earlier works of the well-known Japanese wood-cut artist Ohno, that strongly recall the art of Yasunori Taninaka. At the same time many of Ohno´s current works will be shown, with his cat figures that are very much loved in Japan.
Schröderstr. 12/I, Berlin-Mitte, www.galerie-oko.de
Phone number: +49-(0)163-289 179 2
Gallery Hours: Sunday 14:00-19:00, Monday 11:00–19:00, Tuesday 11:00–23:00,
Wednesday 9:00-14:00, Saturday 14:00-21:00 Public Transportation: S-Bahn Oranienburger Straße, S-Bahn Nordbahnhof, U-Bahn Rosenthalerplatz (U8)