The University of Michigan, Department of Philosophy
1965-1966 Taught recitation sections of Introduction to Philosophy
under Bernard Berofsky and William K. Frankena
1966-1967 Helped to grade graduate-level courses taught by Donald
J. Munro (Chinese Philosophy) and Charles L. Stevenson (Ethical Analysis)
1966-1967 Pre-Doctoral Instructor
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville; Department of Philosophy
- 1968-1972 Instructor
- 1972-1976 Assistant Professor
- 1976-1982 Associate Professor
- 1982-present Professor
The University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville (UTMCK)
- 1978-1989 Clinical Associate in Medical Ethics
- 1989-present Professor of Medicine
This is a one-quarter time position through the academic year and one-half
time through the summer months, arranged through a contract between
the Department of Philosophy and UTMCK.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- 1986-1989 Director, University Studies.
This was a one-half time position, with responsibility for developing
and coordinating a wide variety of interdisciplinary courses and faculty
- 2000-present Chairperson, Institutional Review Board
PH.D. DISSERTATIONS DIRECTED
- Jenny Heyl, "Catholic Health Care in the Public Square: Resolving
Moral Conflict with Integrity" (2004)
- Joe Stackhouse, "The Appropriate Clinical Response to Patient
- Barbara Russell, "John Dewey's Concept of the Good: A Macro-
and Meso-application to the U.S. Health Care System" (2002)
- Timothy Elledge, "Justice and Boundaries in Ancient Stories:
Guidance for Modern Bioethics" (2002)
- Keith Bauer, "Ethical Implications of Telemedicine and the Internet
for Home Health Care" (2002)
- Toby Fey Schonfeld, "Technology and Tradition: Augmenting Jewish
Bioethics in the Genetic Age" (2001)
- David Perlman, Transformative Ethics Consultation: A Supplement to
Ethics Facilitation for Emotionally Charged Health Care Value Conflicts
- Carolyn Szetela, Organisms and Identities: The Essentiality of Genetic
Constitution at Origin (1998)
- Bradford R. Smith, Reestablishing Connections Between Bioethics and
Christianity: Narratives and Virtues in Caring for a Christian Patient
- Pamela Grace, A Philosophical Analysis of the Concept of Advocacy:
Implications for Professional-Patient Relationships (1998)
- Rebecca Bennett, D.V.M., Albert Schweitzer's Ethic of Reverence for
Life: Analysis, Defense, and Applications to the Veterinary Profession
- C. Ben Mitchell, Patenting Life: An Examination of Some Ethical Implications
of Biopatents (1997)
- Michael Manolakis, AConflict of Interest in the Pharmacy Benefits
Management Industry (1997)
- Jeffrey Bulger, "Informed Consent and Rawls's 'Political' Theory
of Justice" (1994).
- Benjamin Franklin Orr, "A Comparative Study in Normative Ethics:
Perceptual Differences of Educators, Physicians, and Ethicists Concerning
Life and Death Issues" (1992).
- Sheila Ruth Hollander, "Values and Disvalues Underlying Mandatory
- Michael Booker, "Justice and the Macroallocation of Human Donor
- Scott Eugene Daniels, "Justifying Human Gene Therapy: An Assessment
of Some of the Central Ethical Considerations Underlying the Application
of Genetic Knowledge to Human Subjects From the Perspective of the Traditional
- Gershon Grunfeld, "Infanticide and Society" (1989).
- Michele Carter, "Ethical Analysis of Trust in Therapeutic Relationships"
- Michael M. Burgess, "A Theoretical Framework for a Combined Social-Ethical
- David Lipe, "Religious versus Secular Ethics" (1986).
- Christopher Meyers, "Paternalism, Autonomy, and Responsibility:
An Analysis of Autonomy in Applied Settings" (1986).
- Kathleen M. Dixon, "Paternalism, Autonomy, and Responsibility
in the Medical Setting" (1985).
- Kristine Whitnable, "The Responsibilities of Personhood in the
Medical Setting" (1985).
- Margaret I. Lovell, "John Rawls, Social Justice, and Health Care
Delivery Systems" (1985).
- Mark A. Yarborough, "Society, Individuals, and Non-Therapeutic
Human Research" (1984).
- Frank H. Marsh, Jr., "An Examination of the Rights of Children
in Treatment for Catastrophic and Mental Illness" (1978)
M.A. THESES DIRECTED
- Mandy Foster, "Mandated Outpatient Therapy" (2001)
- Mary L. Caldwell, "Christian Feminist Bioethics: The Theology
of Rosemary Reuther in Bioethical Conversation" (2001)
- Tatjana Hugle, "An Ethical Assessment of Preimplantation Diagnosis
Compared with Conventional Prenatal Diagnosis" (1999)
- Michael Booker, "Macroallocation of Health Care as Distributive
- Karen Geraghty, "The Case for Ethics Courses in the Medical School
- Elise Duval, "Medical Ethics Consultation: A Casuistical Approach"
- Michael Burgess, "Informed Consent in Therapeutic Contexts"
- Kathleen Merek Dixon, "Paternalism as an Organizational Institution
in Medicine" (1981).
- James J. Bryant, "The `Veil of Ignorance' and `General Knowledge'
of Human Nature in John Rawls' A Theory of Justice" (1981).
- Mark A. Yarborough, "Experimental Drug Treatment and Potentially
Fatally Ill Children" (1980).
- Margaret I. Lovell, "Roberto Mangabeira Unger: Drawing Some Implications
from a Social Theory with a Special Emphasis on Issues in Medical Ethics"
- Robert L. Palmer, "The Faith-Reason Controversy" (1979).
- Ray Edward Moseley, "Paternalism and Paternalistic Justifications"
- Daniel Edward Bosserman, "The Ethics of Truth-Telling and Its
Role in the Doctor-Patient Relationship" (1978).
- Richard Dubsky, "A Critical Study of Ethical Intuitionism"
- Frank H. Marsh, Jr., "The `Living Will' as an Embodiment of the
Legal and Moral Right of a Person to Control and Freely Determine his
Own Death" (1977).
- Wallace Cole Campbell, "Transcending Human Existence: Camus and
- Virginia Jean Osborn, "A Critical Examination of the Ethical
Philosophy of Ayn Rand" (1973).