Laws shape the choices that are available:
- 49 of the 50 states have laws prohibiting physician-assisted suicide.
- All 50 states prohibit active euthanasia measures.
- All 50 states have laws authorizing some form of advance directive,
although the particulars vary from state to state.
- Professional practice acts and drug prescription laws limit patient
access to medicines they might use to end their life.
- Judges and Juries must decide whether - and how severely -to punish
people who violate the prohibition on helping people die.