Medical Ethics CaseFile
TABLE OF CONTENTS
NOTE: Reading PDF files requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader - which is free. To install the Acrobat Reader, clickhere
9. Glossary of Key Terms in Ethics
14. Seven Good Health Habits Your Doctor Wishes You Had
32. A Model Patient's Bill of Rights
46. How Well Do You Know the Hippocratic Oath?
49. Hippocratic Oath -- Corporate Version & Traditional Version Side-by-Side
73. AMA Guidelines for Ethics Committees in Health Care Institutions
105. Amniocentesis for Sex Selection
106. Amniocentesis for Sex Selection + $$
108. Jehovah's Witnesses & Blood Transfusions: Scriptural Basis
109. "Jehovah's Witnesses: The Surgical/Ethical Challenge"
120. V.D. & Confidentiality - Joan
124. Teen-Age Sexuality: Alice, the Stranger
129. Abortion & Dissenting Parents: A Dialogue
133. Two Infants, One Respirator
153. Determination of Death: Selected Statute
155. When the Family Requests Resuscitation
159. "Donald C.", Texas Burn Patient
160. Refusal of Standard Procedure & Demanding Substandard Treatment
163. Confidentiality and Ex-Husband Payment
173. Towards a policy about organ transplantation for foreign nationals
184. The Reluctant Kidney Donor
185. The "Tearoom Trade" Research Project
191. P.Z. - Self-Mutilation & Involuntary Commitment
195. Autonomy for Burn Patients - Two Sisters
204. Philip Becker: Down's Syndrome Child with Heart Defect
205. Statement by Philip Becker's Parents
215. Robert McFall
226. The Willowbrook Research Project on Hepatitis
227. Weepingbrook Hepatitis Research Studies
240. Patient Who Uses a Plea for Death with Dignity to Identify a Hidden Problem
241. Patient Demands Out of Fear that Treatment be Withheld or Stopped
244. Experimentation Involving Human Subjects
245. Nonbeneficial Research on the Child
250. Un-consented-to Research
255. The Kidney Machine Problem
256. KMP - Information Checklist
279. Harms and Benefits - A Classification
288. Joyce & Brent Malcolm
289. Joyce & Brent Meade
290. Joyce & Brent Miller
291. Joyce & Brent Morgan
292. Joyce & Brent Murphy
347. American Nurses' Association Code for Nurses with Interpretive Statements
349. 38 Ways to Make a Baby
350. Vatican Statement on Reproductive Technologies
365. University Student Refuses Treatment for Bacterial Meningitis
366. Dialogue on Proposed Recombinant DNA Research
367. Ice Minus
368. 18 Abortion Scenarios
370. Selective Termination of Pregnancy
371. Physician in an Overseas Hospital
378. Quality of Life
383. Teen-Age Jehovah's Witness Refuses Transfusion
384. Social Worker's Report of Family Dynamics
385. Result of further medical tests
386. Hospital Attorney's reaction to plan to seek court order
387. Reaction of child's natural father
391. How Much Is a Life Worth?
392. The Pharmacist & Patients' Religious Beliefs
401. Hyperkinetic Syndrome: Who Should Medicate?
402. Drug Testing
403. Testing a Drug for a New Use - Amrinone
413. Epidemics & 'Epidemics' - rabid bats
414. Epidemics & 'Epidemics' - smoking at local high school
415. Epidemics & 'Epidemics' - highway speed limits
416. Epidemics & 'Epidemics' - nuclear war
421. Business Executive with Chest Pain Refuses Admission
422. When Danny Said No!
423. When Did Billy Die?
428. Request to Limit Life-Sustaining Treatment Later RESCINDED
432. Trauma Patient Not Told About Death of Family Members
434. Overzealous Confidentiality? Keeping Child Abuse Secret
439. Mrs. X and the Bone Marrow Transplant Registry
454. Are Intravenous Fluids Morally Required for a Dying Patient?
462. Values Involved in Decisions to Withhold Nutrition
467. 1-page explanation of Tennessee Living Will form
465. LIVING WILL suggested in TN Right-to-a-Natural-Death Act
466. Form for Durable Power of Attorney
474. Terminating Treatment - Grounds for and Against
479. Withdrawing Treatment for Elderly Patient with Financial Aspect
480. Mr. Meissner Requests Active Euthanasia
481. "It's Over, Debbie"
488. The Oregon Decision to Curtail Funding for Organ Transplantation
489. 7 yr old denied funding for bone marrow transplant through Oregon's policy
492. Setting the Health Care Budget
506. How Well Do You Know the A.N.A. Code for Nurses?
507. EXCERPTS from medical codes about relationships with nurses
522. CPR for a DNR patient with a sudden-onset seizures
524. CPR - Categorization & Implications for Communication & Treatment
537. Rudy Linares
539. Hospital Ethics Committees - Three Models
540. Some Properties of Diagnostic Tests
544. "DOCTOR KNOWS BEST"
545. Newborn whose parents refuse to take responsibility
563. 7 "generic & specific criteria of incompetence"
564. Who is Competent?
573. Pamela Hamilton
574. Pamela Hamilton / CHRONOLOGY
576. "A Pain Reliever Will Do The Job"
577. "A Philosophy Course Will Do The Job"
579. "Grandpa's Grandpa"
595. Patient Requesting Valium
602. The Visiting Nurse and the Obstinate Patient
604. Following the Physician's Orders
610. When "Doing Good" May Harm the Patient
611. Do Patients Always Have to be Turned?
617. The Duty to Participate in Collective Action
623. The Patient Who Could Not Get Admitted to the Hospital
626. When It is Hard to Keep Promises
632. Inflicting Agony to Save a Life
637. Deceiving the New Mother Who Asks About her Baby
639. Telling the Family of the Deceased About a Mistake?
652. Mercy Killing in the Newborn Nursery
654. Is This Nurse A Killer?
655. The Patient Who Might Have a Living Will
660. The Nurse Who Blew the Whistle On the Clarence Herbert Case
664. The Nurse as Contraceptive Salesperson
668. The Pregnant Teenager with a Genetic Problem
673. The Nurse in Experimental Genetic Engineering
674. Force-Feeding the Psychiatric Patient
675. Must Suicide Always be Stopped?
676. Sedating and Restraining the Disturbed Patient
679. Coercive Treatment in the Name of Science
683. When the Subject Group of Choice is Prisoners
684. Inconveniencing the Dying
687. When the Patient Does Not Remember Giving Consent
688. Sensitive Information in the Employee's Health Record
691. Ms. Jolen Tuma and the Leukemia Patient
693. Giving Flu Vaccine Without Consent
694. Consent from a Sedated Patient
701. To Resuscitate or Not?
705. The Economic Side of Prolonging Life
707. The Nurse Caught Between her Religious Values and a Research Protocol
709. Mandatory HIV Screening -- What Groups Would You Screen?
711. Medical Recommendations Regarding HIV Testing
723. HIV Infection -- Some Ethical Issues
725. AIDS - Issues for a Minister/Counselor
726. AIDS & School Attendance - Physician
727. AIDS & School Attendance - Reporter
728. AIDS & School Attendance - School Principal
731. AIDS & School Attendance - Classroom Teacher
734. Sally and Sam Smith
736. AIDS Risk Chart
739. The Surgeon Who Refuses to Operate
740. The Intensive Care Nurse without Health Insurance
741. The Former IV Drug User & His Wife
742. The Patient Whose Surgery Was Cancelled
754. The Role of the Family in Medical Decisions
755. United Nations Declaration of Children's Rights
758. Terminal Infant - Parents want to take her home to die
759. Frozen Embryos Whose Parents Left Multi-Million-Dollar Estate
760. Baby M
761. Mort and Emma Tality
762. Maryville Embryos Case: initial newspaper accounts (August 7-9, 1989)
763. Maryville Embryo Case - Ellen Goodman initial column
764. Maryville Embryo Case - Ellen Goodman column in reaction to ruling
765. Maryville Embryo Case - NEWSWEEK story
767. Leukemia Patient Ruled "No Heroics" Partly on Grounds of Cost
769. Patient with low sperm count asks that his sexual partner not be told
793. "The Compazine Affair"
932. A Duty To Warn, An Uncertain Danger
946. A Suicide Attempt and Emergency Room Ethics
950. No Feeding Tubes for Me!
954. Parental Consent and a Teenage Sex Survey
974. The Anencephalic Newborn as Organ Donor
975. Can the Fetus be an Organ Farm?
995. 3 frustrating patients
996. 4 patients - different payment plans, different treatment
1002. Does a pharmacist have a duty to fill a prescription for AZT?
1003. LETTER to NEJM re AIDS testing
1023. "Medical Care Breaks Out"
1025. "Unborn to Save Sister"
1048. The Transfused Cat
1053. The Wife Has Her Own Ideas
1054. R.B.'s Leg Condition
1062. Kenneth Wright
1063. "Please, Please Kill Me!"
1065. Death in Transit
1069. Baby as spare part
1071. White mother sues sperm bank over black daughter
1072. Semen of man taking cancer treatment allegedly thrown away
1073. "It's Over, Kim"
1084. Whose Spleen Is It Anyway?
1107. "It's Over, Diane"
1195. Bill of Rights for Dying Patients
1203. Oregon's Ranking of Services
1216. The Case of Mrs. Franklin
1234. Helga Wanglie's Ventilator
1236. CDC Guidelines on HIV-infected Professionals & on Testing Patients
1243. FINAL EXIT Attempt
1245. Maryville Embryo Case / COURT OPINION
1247. "FlavrSavr Tomato"
1248. Maryville Embryo Case - TN Supreme Court Opinion
1261. Lorenzo's Oil
1266. "Health Care: What We Really Need is Soul"