Skip to content
Published and Forthcoming
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Thomas Sanford. Way Station or Launching Pad? Unpacking the Returns to Adult Technical Education. (accepted, Journal of Public Economics) (last working paper version: PDF) (Appendix)
- Kim, Bongkyun, Celeste K. Carruthers, and Matthew C. Harris. Maternal Stress and Birth Outcomes: Evidence from the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. (2017). Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 140: 354-373.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Marianne H. Wanamaker. Separate and Unequal in the Labor Market: Human Capital and the Jim Crow Wage Gap. (2017). Journal of Labor Economics 35(3): 655-696.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Marianne H. Wanamaker. Returns to School Resources in the Jim Crow South. (2017). Explorations in Economic History 64: 104-110.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Umut Ozek. (2016). Losing HOPE: Financial Aid and the Line Between College and Work. Economics of Education Review 53: 1-15. Pre-publication draft here.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and William F. Fox (2016). Aid for all: College coaching, financial aid, and postsecondary persistence in Tennessee. Economics of Education Review 51: 97-112.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Marianne H. Wanamaker. (2015). Municipal Housekeeping: The Impact of Women's Suffrage on the Provision of Public Education. The Journal of Human Resources 50 (4): 837-872.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Donald J. Bruce. Jackpot? The Impact of Lottery Scholarships on Enrollment in Tennessee. (2014). Journal of Urban Economics 81: 30-44.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Marianne H. Wanamaker (2013). Closing the Gap? The Effect of Private Philanthropy on the Provision of African-American Schooling
in the U.S. South. Journal of Public Economics 101, 53-67.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. (2012). The Qualifications and Classroom Performance of Teachers Moving to Charter Schools. Education Finance and Policy, 7(3), 223-268.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. (2012). New Schools, New Students, New Teachers: Evaluating the Effectiveness of Charter Schools. Economics of Education Review, 31(2), 280-292.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Jilleah Welch. Not Whether, but Where? Pell Grants and College Choices. (2nd revision requested) (PDF)
- Carruthers, Celeste K. and Kara S. Mitchell. Are `Education Lotteries' Less Regressive? Evidence from Texas. (revision requested) (PDF)
- Ozek, Umut, Celeste K. Carruthers, and Kristian Holden. Teacher value-added in charter schools and traditional public schools. (revision requested) (link to CALDER paper)
- Bruce, Donald J., Celeste K. Carruthers, Matthew C. Harris, Matthew N. Murray, and Jinseong Park. Do In-Kind Grants Stick? The Department of Defense 1033 program and local government spending. (under review) (PDF)
- Carruthers, Celeste K., William F. Fox, and Christopher Jepsen. Promise kept? Free community college and attainment in Tennessee. (in progress)
- Carruthers, Celeste K., Carolyn J. Heinrich, and Kalena Cortes. Why Does Mentoring Matter? The Effect of Non-Financial Support on College Enrollment and Persistence. (in progress)
- Carruthers, Celeste K., William F. Fox, Larry Kessler, and Matthew N. Murray. Tax compliance in the Amazon. (in progress)
Contributions to Edited Volumes
- Encyclopedia of Education Economics and Finance (2014). Brewer, D.J. and Picus, L.O. (Eds.), Sage. Entries for "Adult Education," "G.I. Bill" (with Justin Roush), "Pell Grants" (with Jilleah Welch), and "Vocational Education."
- Blair, Roger D. and Carruthers, Celeste K. (2010). The Economics of Monopoly Power in Antitrust. Antitrust Law & Economics, Keith Hylton (Ed.), Edward Elgar.
- Carruthers, Celeste K. (2008). Twombly and the Evolution of Telecom Regulation. Antitrust Bulletin, 53(1), 95-116
- Carruthers, Celeste K., David Figlio, and Tim Sass. (2018). Did tenure reform in Florida affect student test scores? Evidence Speaks Reports 2(52): May 17, 2018. (online)
- Carruthers, Celeste K. "Tennessee is Showing how Free Tuition Works." (online, New York Times, Room for Debate, 1/20/2016).