Professor of Statistics
Department of Statistics
The University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0532
Phone & Voice Mail:(423)974-1635
Education and Degrees:
| Born: Kayseri (Caesaria), Turkey|
| Date of Birth: January 2, 1945|
| Marital Status: Married (Spouse: Nancy, and two boys)|
| Citizenship: U.S. Citizen (January 25, 1977)|
| Ethnicity: Armenian|
Positions Held and Professional Experience:
August 1981 Ph.D. Mathematics, University of Illinois at Chicago.
Major: Probability and Statistics (Multivariate Statistical Analysis
and Model Selection)
Minor: Operations Research
Ph.D. Thesis title: Multi-Sample Cluster Analysis and Approaches
to Validity Studies in Clustering Individuals, Supervisor: Prof.
Stanley L. Sclove.
June 1978 M.S. Mathematics, University of Illinois at Chicago.
Major: Mathematics, Probability and Statistics.
June 1970 B.S. Mathematics, University of Wisconsin, Madison,
1995-to date Professor of Statistics, Department of Statistics,
The University of Tennessee, 336 Stokely Management Center,Knoxville, TN
*Duties include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses
in statistics, Ph.D. curriculum and course development, research, directing
theses, and consulting.
1990-1995 Associate Professor of Statistics, Department of Statistics,
and and Adjunt Associate Professor of Mathematics (1994-1996),
*Duties include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in statistics,
Ph.D.curriculum development, research, directing theses, and consulting.
1983-1989 Assistant Professor in Statistics, Department of Mathematics,
University of Virginia, Mathematics-Astronomy Building, Charlottesville,
*Duties include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in statistics
and mathematics, curriculum development, research, directing theses, and
*Chairman, Statistics Forum of the University of Virginia, 1984-88.
*Graduate and Hiring Committee member in Statistics.
|January 10- August 10, 188 Visiting Associate Professor and Research
Fellow, the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo, Japan.|
1981-1983 Assistant Professor, Department of Quantitative Methods,
College of Business Administration, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois.
*Duties included teaching undergraduate and graduate MBA courses in
statistics,curriculum development, research, and consulting.
1980-1981 Lecturer, Department of Quantitative Methods, College
of Business Administration, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois.
*Duties included teaching undergraduate courses in statistics, research,
consulting, and serving in undergraduate curriculum committee.
Spring & Winter 1979 Guest Instructor, Department of Mathematics,
Mundelein College, Chicago, Illinois.
*Duties included teaching statistics to undergraduates in the Weekend
Fall 1974 Instructor, School of Physical Therapy, Northwestern
University McGaw Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois.
*Duties included teaching statistical methods in research and SPSS
(Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) to physical therapy students.
January 1973-May 1975 Research Associate in Statistics, Searle
Rehabilitation Research Center, Sociological Research Unit, Rehabilitation
Institute of Chicago-Northwestern University McGaw Medical Center, Chicago,
*Duties included research in the areas of multivariate statistical
analysis, experimental design, the design and the analysis of sample surveys,
regression analysis, project and program evaluation, the linkage of these
areas with computer statistical and library packages in medical and sociological
rehabilitation research problems. Supervised research assistants and other
research staff. Served as a high-level statistical consultant for other
departments involved in medical research in the areas: calcium and bone
cancer research, neuromuscular research, stroke, pulmonary rehabilitation
research, and others.
1971-1972 Teaching Fellow, Department of Statistics, University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
*Duties included teaching introductory probability and statistical
applications to industrial engineering undergraduate students.
1969-1970 Teaching Assistant (Senior Year), Department of Mathematics
Extension, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin.
*Duties included teaching correspondence courses in mathematics to
Army, Navy, and Air Force servicemen.
- James Syta,M.S.T.in Statistics,Department of Mathematics, University
- Eng Seng Teoh,M.S.in Statistics,The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,Tennessee,
- An Lu, M.S.in Statistics,The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,Tennessee,
- Yuehui Fan,M.S.in Statistics,The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,
- Joseph Kardos,M.S.in Statistics,The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,Tennessee,
- Nathalie Manzor,M.S.in Statistics,The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,
Tennessee, Fall 1995.
- Dorothea Eisenblatter,University of Koln,West Germany, Co-supervisor,Ph.D.,1988.Thesis
title:Two-Stage Multi-Sample Cluster Analysis as a General Approach
to Discriminant Analysis.
- Chen Xi,Management Sciences,Ph.D.Supervisor in Statistics, The University
of Tennessee. Title:Model Selection in Nonlinear Regression Models,(expected
- Cheryl Hild,Management Sciences,Ph.D.Supervisor in Statistics, The
University of Tennessee.Title:The Development and Evaluation of Predictive
Models Using Ivaknhenko's Polynomial Theory: GMDH, (expected Fall 1996).
Doctoral & Masters Committees Served-Provided Problems and Solutions:
- The Automated Partitioning of Simulations for Parallel Execution by
David M.Nicol Ph.D.in the Department of Computer Science, University of
- Information Theoretic Techniques Compared to F Tests and Likelihood
Ratio Tests in One Factor ANOVA by Elizabeth P.Rosenblum Ph.D. in the Department
of Educational Research,University of Virginia, 1985.
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectral Signatures of Liquid Crystals in
Human Atheroma As Basis For Multi-Dimentional Imaging of Atherosclerosis
by Justin D. Pearlman, M.D.,M.E.,Ph.D.in the Division of Biomedical Engineering
and Cardiology, University of Virginia, 1986.
- Pattern Recognition of Magnetic Resonance Images with Application to
Atherosclerosis by Charles S.Carman, Ph.D.in the Division of Biomedical
Engineering,University of Virginia,1989.
- A Causal Analysis of Large Vehicle Accidents Through Fault Tree Analysis
and Statistical Modeling by Sarath C.Joshua,Ph.D.in Civil Engineering,University
- Clustering of Homogeneous Subsets by Paul Garvey, M.S.in Systems Engineering
(Masters Thesis),University of Virginia,1990.
- Controlling Information Systems Development:Escalation Behavior, Adverse
Selection,and the Sunk Cost Effect by Gary P.Schneider, Department of Accounting
& Business Law,College of Business Administration,The University of
- Black Bear Habitat Use Dynamics in the Southern Appalachians by Frank
Teunissen Van Manen,Department of Forestry,Wildlife, and Fisheries,The
University of Tennessee,Ph.D.,1994.
- Capacity Management in the Container Shipping Industry: The Application
of Yield Management Techniques by Dong Woo Ha,Department of Marketing,Logistics
and Transportation, The University of Tennessee, Ph.D.,Summer 1994.
- Weights and Morphometrics of Black Bears in the Southeastern United
States by Thomas H.Eason,Department of Wildlife,Forestry & Fisheries,
The University of Tennessee,M.S.,1995.
- Habitat Ecology of Anolis Carolinensis in East Tennessee by Jim Minesky,Department
of Zoology, The University of Tennessee, Ph.D.,Fall1996.
Academic and Professional Services:
i. College and University Committees:
- Faculty Senator for Academic Services,University of Illinois,Chicago,1981-1983.
- President,Virginia Chapter of the American Statistical Association(ASA),Virginia
Academy of Sciences,1985-1986.
- Faculty Associate member of the Methodological Core in Preference Measurement
of the Center for Risk Management of Engineering Systems, School of Engineering
and Applied Science, University of Virginia.
- Faculty Senator from CBA, The University of Tennessee, 1992-1994.
- Senate Research Council and Research Computing Committee,The University
- Faculty Senate Executive Committee, The University of Tennessee,1994-1996.
- CBA Organizational Research, The University of Tennessee.
- CBA Graduate Fellowship Awards Committee.
- CBA Management Science Programs Committee.
- CBA Building Committee.
ii. Departmental Committees:
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee,Department of Quantitative Methods,
University of Illinois, Chicago,1981-1983.
- Chairman,Statistics Forum Colloquium of the University of Virginia,1984-1988.
- Graduate and Hiring Committee in Statistics, Department of Mathematics,University
- Graduate Program and Faculty Development Committees Department of Statistics,
The University of Tennessee.
- Chair of Statistics Colloquium Series,1991-92,1995-96,1996-97.
Collaboration with Statistical/Mathematical Journals:
- Journal of the American Statistical Association (JASA);
- Statistics and Probability Letters;
- Computational Statistics and Data Analysis;
- Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics (AISM);
- Journal of the Japan Statistical Society (JJSS);
- Multivariate Behavioral Research (MBR);
- Psychological Bulletin;
- Journal of Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis;
- Journal of the Royal Statistical Society (JRSS);
- British Journal of Mathematical Psychology and Statistics.
|Special Section of Psychometrika, Vol.52, No.3, September 1987 on Statistical
Modeling and Model Evaluation. Three-volume set of the Proceedings of the
First US/Japan Conference of the Frontiers of Statistical Modeling:An Informational
Co-Editor& Founder(With A.K.Gupta) a journal entitled:
|Statistical Modeling,Computation,and Data Analysis Book Series Chief of
Kluwer Academic Publishers, (expected 1996).|
- Journal of Applied Multivariate Modeling (expected 1996).
Conferences and Symposia Organized:
|Chairman and Host, Advanced Symposium on Multivariate Statistical Modeling
and Data Analysis, Annual Meeting of ASA Virginia Chapter of the Virginia
Academy of Sciences at James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia,
May 15-16, 1986.|
|Chairman of the Organizing Committee and Host, Second Conference of the
International Federation of the Classification Societies (IFCS), University
of Virginia, June 27-30, 1989.|
|Organizer:(1) New Developments in Classification and
Clustering,,and (2) Model Selection In Covariance Structures
at the Joint Meeting of the Classification Society of North
America (CSNA) and the Psychometric Society, Rutgers University,
June 13-16, 1991.|
|Organizer of invited Session on Model Selection in Classification
and Clustering at the Third Conference of the International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS)-1991, Heriott-Watt University,
Edinburgh, Scotland, August 6-9, 1991.|
|Director and Host of the First US/Japan Conference
on:The Frontiers of Statistical Modeling:An Informational Approach, University
of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, May 25-29,1992.|
Most Recent Invited Lectures for Professional
|Co-Chair of the Scientific Program Committee of the
International Society of Bayesian Analysis (ISBA) 1997, Istanbul,
Turkey, August 15-18, 1997.|
- A New Informational Complexity Criterion
for Model Selection: The General Theory and
- Its Applications. Invited paper presented at the Information
Theoretic Models & Inference of the
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences(INFORMS),Washington
- during May 5-8, 1996.
- Univariate Mixture of Cubic B-Splines Approach to Detecting
Multivariate Modality Using
- Model Selection Criteria.Invited paper at the Fuzzy & Probabilistic
Methods for Clustering at the 5-th
- Conference of the International Federation of Classification Societies
(IFCS-96) Kobe, Japan, during
- March 27-30,1996.
- Mixture-Model Cluster Analysis Using Model Selection Criteria
and a New Informational
- Measure of Complexity.Invited paper at the International Workshop
on Statistical Mixture Models,
- Aussois,France, during September 17-21,1995.
- Three-Based Classification of Predictors in Regression-Type
ModelsVia Self-Organization: The
- GMDH Algorithm (with C.R.Hild);and ACorrelated Evolution
Model Using a Multiple Regression
- with Phylogenetically Autoregressive Error Components(with H-K.Luh).
Invited papers at the
- Classification Society of North America's (CSNA's) Annual Conference,
University of Colorado,
- Denver,Colorado, during June 22-25, 1995.
- Informational Complexity Approach to Predictive Regression Models
of Future Observations;
- and Bayesian Multisample Cluster Analysis of Regression Models
in Several Groups Using a New
- Informational Compexity Criterion. Invited paper at the
Third World Meeting of the International
- Society of Bayesian Analysis(ISBA-95),Oaxaca, Mexico,during September
- Subset Selection of Predictors in Bayesian Regression Model Using
a New Informational Complexity
- Criterion. Presented at the 5th Valencia International Meeting
on Bayesian Statistics, Alicante, Spain,
- June 5-9,1994.
- Bayesian Factor Analysis Model and Choosing the Number of Factors
Using a New Informational
- Complexity Criterion. Invited paper presented at the Second
International Society of Bayesian Analysis
- in the Session: Information-theoretic Modeling, Alicante, Spain, June
- Empirical Econometric Modeling of Food Consumption Using a New
- Complexity Approach. World title award winning paper on THE
EXPERIMENT IN APPLIED
- ECONOMETRICS presented at the Workshop at the University of Tilburg,
- December 15-17, 1996.