Africana Study Abroad
FOREIGN STUDY IN ACCRA, GHANA
Mini-Term - May 14 - 28, 2009
Learn, Study and Experience life in Ghana. The focus of this multi-disciplinary approach is to survey the Ghanaian history, economics, politics, society, and cultures that the Ghanaians possess and have experienced. Such topics as the Historical Overview of Ghana (First Independent Sub-Saharan country in 1957), Political Economy of Ghana, Role of Women in National Development, Traditional West African Ethics, Morality, and Religious Patterns are taught by Ghanaian faculty at the University of Ghana, Legon.
ENROLLMENT: MINIMUM 12 STUDENTS EARN 1-3 UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE CREDITS: FOREIGN STUDY 491
Program Fee ($1,471.00)
- Lodging (hotel), breakfastand dinner
- Lectures at the University of Ghana
- Excursions (Cultural Arts Center, El Mina Castle, Gender Center, Craft villages: Kente cloth, beads, Adinkra cloth, carved figures and fertility dolls, W.E.B. DuBois Memorial Center, Kakum National Park/Take a canopy walk, Ashanti King Palace.....)
- Community Service Project
Estimated Individual Additional Student Expenses ($2,315.00)
- International airfare $1,550.00
- Cost of obtaining passport $100.00
- Visa $90.00 plus shipping
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC) $25.00
- Lunches and personal expenses $400.00
- Required vaccinations $150.00
- In-State UTK tuition (3 credits) $681.00 (You can register for 1, 2, or 3 Credits)
UT students, students from other universities, and local community leaders are encouraged to apply. Students must be in good academic standing and possess a valid passport.
The application process begins on November 17, 2008, and closes on February 2, 2009. All applications must be filled out on-line at the Programs Abroad website at https://hermes.utk.edu/.
Program Fee Payment Schedule
- Deposit with Decision Form: $750 due February 16, 2009
- Balance due on or before May 14, 2009
- The remaining balance of $721 will be charged to your VolExpress card
- The Aya Centre will refund all recoverable costs on any cancellations made before the group arrival date. No refunds will be made after the beginning of the program
Dr. Amadou Sall
The University of Tennessee
812 Volunteer Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37996-0627